The generation before us is Rosalie and Jim Alexander, Sr. Together they continue their independent u-pick operation. Look for The Old Blueberry Farm at 1574 Greenfield Road.
Hand raking is another traditional method of harvesting wild blueberries. Bring your own rake or use one of theirs to gently pull the wild blueberries from the lowbush plants. You can assist in running your blueberries through their old-fashioned winnowing machine to remove the majority (but not all) of the leaves, small branches, and chaff.
You are welcome to bring your own containers. Quart-size boxes are available for 25 cents each.
During the season, the U-Pick field is open from sunrise to sunset, Monday through Saturday (generally the first three weeks in August). Click HERE to confirm the U-Pick fields are in season.
The U-Pick and U-Rake wild blueberries are $2.50 a quart. Berry boxes are available for 25 cents each.
You can reach The Old Blueberry Farm at 207-827-1955 or [email protected]
Click here for Rosalie’s gift shop: The Old Blueberry Farm Gift Shop
Jim Sr. and Rosalie own and operate the U-Pick fields at The Old Blueberry Farm, 1574 Greenfield Road
Tips for a better blueberry picking experience:
- Tuck a hat and sunscreen in your bag before leaving home (the fields are full sun).
- Be sure to have plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Bring your own favorite containers or purchase quart-size boxes (25 cents each).
- A camera is a must for blueberry selfies and lovely scenery.
- The wide-open fields offer no shady places to park your vehicle. Please keep this in mind for those passengers (or pets) who want to make the lovely drive to Greenfield, but prefer to stay in the car while you hand pick. And though we love pets, furry friends are not allowed in the U-Pick field.